Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Trying to Make A Tough Decision

Trying to make a difficult decision, so trying to list out the pros & cons here...

Pros of My Job
1) Makes my life more meaningful & purposeful.
2) I enjoy spending time with the children, teaching them.
3) I have a nice stable income every month.
4) I have collegues and friends.
5) I have job satisfaction.

Cons of My Job
1) Waking up at 5am daily.
2) Commuting 3.5hrs daily.
3) 7am to 5pm in school daily.
4) Feel tired and stressed daily.
5) Got lots of arrows.
6) Difficulty sleeping at night.
7) Lots of workshops to attend.
8) Tonnes of paper work to do, like work review...
9) Create havoc to my body.
10) No time and energy for hubby or anything else.

Pro of being a 'home affairs minister'
1) I can focus on achieving our new year's resolution.
2) I enjoy cooking and playing in the kitchen (researching, planning and preparing food).
3) I feel satisfied when Jerome enjoyed a tasty meal that I've prepared.
4) I get to spend time with Jerome.
5) I have more time for myself.
6) I can go on a holiday any time I like, esp. during off-peak periods.
7) I can pick up new skills like cake decoarting.
8) I can still teach free & easy (take up a few tuition kids)
9) I can try something new, like go volunteer/teach at Pre-school or international school :)
10) It's easier to book appointments during weekdays.


Cons of being a 'home affairs minister'
1) I'll lose my financial independence and have to depend on Jerome.
2) It's a waste that I do not contribute more to the society.
3) I might become 'huang lian po'?
4) I might lose touch of the society?
5) I will lose contact with friends and colleagues.

Hmm... Seems that this shouldn't be too difficult a decision to make...
But why am I hesitating?
It's a bad time to quit. But "noone is indispensible" and there's never a good time.

I always see myself as a teacher...
I take pride in that...

Can't imagine the next time someone ask me, "What do you do?"
A homemaker? A housewife?
It's strange to be jobless...

I still have not decided. Going to hang on first...

3 comments:

  1. Sheryl,

    One of the reasons why I left MOE was because I was getting really tired and jaded. Each morning I would wake up and wonder if this is a 'sick' day. A day that I can call in sick. I can honestly say that I hated work. The only saving grace was when I was in the classroom with the kids that I was teaching. They made my day brighter and it was easier to go through.

    But at home, it was a different story. I couldn't sleep. Frustration was building up everyday and what got to me was the constant bickering I had with hubby over nothing. It was when he pointed out that I was killing me and us because of work. That was when I knew I had to throw in the towel. Thank God, I had a back up plan. So it's a little different from you. Before I did my masters in Sydney, I interviewed for a job in Hong Kong and was accepted and well, the rest is history.

    To this day, I don't regret making that decision. Maybe you could take the time off to do things that you like or even do your masters. But whatever it is, I seriously, don't think that work or money is that important that you sacrifice the things that you love. I heard this saying once, 'A person on his dying bed will never say that he wished he worked more or earned more. But rather, he wished he spent time with the people that he loves the most or did things that he really wanted to do.'

    Sorry for the long comment. I know what you're going through. I've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jasmine,
    Thanks for sharing with me and taking the effort to write. Didn't know u're reading my blog...
    I honestly still can't make up my mind yet...
    Maybe when my RO ask me for my Work Review again, I'll submit the letter then :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sheryl,

    Well, emmmm, I don't do very much at work sometimes and so I surf all the time and read blogs! Keeps my day going. I know it's a really hard decision so you need time to think through it. But having said that, you can always head back to teaching as a relief teacher so your door to teaching is not really closed.

    ReplyDelete