Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bitten by The Travel Bug

I must confess that I used to be addicted to travelling ever since I was bitten by the travel bug. I've always like to travel to other countries during the holidays ever since my first trip to Europe with my friends after my graduation in 1999. My parents allowed me to go on the trip provided we were going with a tour group, but not backpacking. Before that trip, the only other country that I visited was Malaysia. But then again, I am a Malaysian staying in Singapore. I am born in Butterworth, Malaysia, but have been staying in Singapore with my family as far as I could remember. When I was young, during the school holidays and the Chinese New Year, my family would always drive back to Malaysia to visit my grandparents and relatives.

The world is so huge and there is so much to see, do and explore. After my trip to Europe, I promised myself that I will go travelling to other countries at least twice a year- during the June & December holidays. A short 1-week trip in June and a longer 2-3weeks trip in December. I was able to keep that promise until I became 'attached' (as in having a boyfriend) and then getting married...

Anyway, I was trying hard to recall my travels so far and remembered that I used to have my own travel pages on Virtual Tourist (www.virtualtourist.com/sheryl_tan) that I have not visited in years. So went looking for it and was glad to find that everything's still there after all these years :) So this is another pro of sharing on-line. You'll not lose your photographs and data (at least that has not happen yet). You don't have to crack your brain to recall some locked up memories. So here's me writing about my travels again before I suffer more memory losses, become busy and come up with other excuses... Will write up more in detail regarding the trips and post some pictures next week :) This will serve like a Contents/ Summary Page.

Since 1999, (& glad that we have all survived the Millienium Bug)
The Travel Bug has taken me to ...

June 1999 - 21 days Europe (cities include Frankfurt, Lucerne, Innsbruck, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Vatican City, Venice, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Nice, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam & London) Getting a glimspe & getting hooked. Not enough time! So definitely will be back for more!
June 2000- 8 days Hong Kong & Shen Zhen (with Uni friends)
June 2001- 3 weeks in Melborne & Tasmania, Australia (with Jane and Pauline)
Dec 2001- 13 days in Spain & Portugal (with Hui Yi & Jennifer)
9-14 June 2002 (6 days) Hong Kong & Shenzhen (with family)
5-12 Dec 2002 (8 days) South Korea and Japan Disney Land (with Yili)
December 2003 Pulau Langkawi, Malaysia (1st trip with Jerome)
16-20 June 2004 BeiJing, China 
Dec 2006- 2 weeks Switzerland & Italy (Honeymoon trip)
Between 2005 to 2008- short getaways to:
                                      - Bintan, Indonesia
                                      - Pulau Tioman, Malaysia
                                      - Malacca, Malaysia
                                      - Genting Highlands, Malaysia
                                      - Penang, Malaysia
                                      - Hat Yat, Thailand
Dec 2008- 5 days Hong Kong
June 2009- 5 days Perth, Australia
27Nov to 1Dec 2009- 5 days Bangkok, Thailand
17th to 20th July 2010- Phuket, Thailand
19th-27th Sept 2010- Zhangjiajie, China (with parents)
Dec 26 2010 - to Jan 2 2011 Penang & Hat Yai (with Jerome & parents)

* Clicking on the links will bring you to my travel pages on Virtual Tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment