Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Meeting an 'old' friend

I must admit that I'm a lousy & lazy friend. I'm really not good at keeping in contact with people. I seldom take up the initiative to arrange to meet up with friends. At first, friends tried to arrange for meet ups but I would always be too busy with work or tired after work to meet up. Then once I'm with Jerome, free-time is naturally spent with him. After rejecting invitations often enough, friends eventually don't ask.

Today during lunch break, I was walking aimlessly around the shopping mall with my free Ben & Jerry's ice-cream. As I took the escalator down, I saw the backview of a woman with a hairstyle I found familiar. (I'm not usually a very observant person who would always go around looking for people I know. Jerome says I'm quite a blur person. You'll probably have to stand in front of me and wave before I recognise you.) Anyway, she was on the phone and as I walked closer to her, I realised that it was Bi Fang, a JC cum Uni friend. I have not seen her for years and have lost contact with her. I waved my hand in front of her and she instantly recognized me and told the person over the phone that she saw me. She was on the phone with her sister. I'm relieved that she could still remember my name.

She was actually with her 3 yr-old son and her husband, Yong Fa. He used to tease me about my weight back in Uni :P She has not changed much after all these years. We tried to catch up with each other and I tried to get some updates about other common friends. Found out that another friend has already give birth to a second child, already 8 months old. Hmm... See how out of touch I am...

Seem like everyone's been pretty 'productive'. Another reason why I dislike meeting up with friends... They're probably talking about pregnancies, babies, first months celebrations, 1st birthdays, etc... then asking me the same...
Nevertheless, I'm happy to meet an old friend today. I must put in more effort to keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment