Thursday, April 1, 2010

Special Bear

During my 1-month work attachment at an international school in Dec 2007, I was very fortunate to be observing a Grade 2 class where the teacher got a Special Bear for the class. The children will take turns to bring the teddy bear home and help to write the journal of the bear. The next day, the teacher will share with the class regarding the 'adventures' of the bear by reading the bear's journal. The children were excited to bring the bear home and they always look forward to listening to the bear's experiences at their classmates' home.

So back in school, I got my own special bear in 2008 and started my own Special Bear's Journal with my Primay 3 class. The children took turns to bring the bear, the journal and a digital camera (my 1st Sony Digital camera) home . Initially, I was unsure if the children would find a teddy bear too childish. Fortunately, they were very enthusiatic and everyone wanted to bring the bear home.

What's good about the Special Bear's Journal?
It was a great way to get children to get really interested in writing.
It gives more meaning to their writing as their writing get shared the following day.
I get to model some editing as I share the journal with the children over the visualizer.
It's a way of getting to know the child & family better through the pictures that the child has taken and journal written.
They learn to be more responsible. Even the children who seem to forget about submitting forms and doing homework will diligently write the journal and bring the Bear back the very next day.
Of course, it was a great way to encourage the children to write their own journals and promote other desirable behaviours in class...

After staying at home sitting on the shelf for a year, I'm sure Special Bear must have felt delighted to be back in the limelight again. The new class I'm taking is equally enthusiatic about bringing Special Bear home. Next week, SB will be going to the zoo with the children :)

Special Bear enjoying a picnic...

Special Bear looking at the children learning to swim...

No comments:

Post a Comment