Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Job Satisfaction

A friend was telling me that she feels depressed after looking at her payslip every month. After being in the school for over 4 yrs as an adjunct teacher, she had been and remained grossly underpaid. No benefits, no bonuses, no increments. I was shocked when she revealed the amount that she's paid. I had been getting more allowance from Jerome when I was on leave last year! No wonder she was feeling depressed... She's one of the best and most committed teachers I've ever known. She's also super capable. So she definitely deserves a pay increase and more recognition.

For one intending to quit the job soon, I found that I was quick to encourage her by looking at the other areas of school that give us a greater sense of satisfaction. Like simple enjoyment of doing the things we like, making a difference in the lives of the children, etc..., more than the financial rewards... We truly enjoy our job.

My work has indeed given my life more meaning. If I'm to stop working, stop being a teacher what's really left of me? I wonder... life 2 months later, without my job, what am I going to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment