Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Positive Sign... or not?

Last Sunday, Jerome and I went to my friend's baby shower for her first born. The first baby shower we attended in many years. I hated attending baby showers because of the inevitable question "When's your turn?" Anyway, I decided to attend the one last Sunday and managed to drag Jerome along.

I haven't been in constant contact with my Secondary School friend. The last time we met was over a year ago when she visited my home with her husband.  I did not know she was even pregnant until I received her SMS invitation to attend her first baby's 1st month celebration. She has got married a few months after Jerome and I. I guessed she must have taken quite a long time to conceive her baby.

Anyway, she asked me THE question "When's your turn?" I told her honestly that we're working on it, been working on it for a long time." She asked me whether I've considered IVF so I told her that we're looking into it. It turned out that her baby was conceived through IVF. She also shared other positive stories from other couples she know who also conceived their babies through IVF. And about her daily injections  for over 50 days with the needles growing in size and dosages. Her husband was the one doing the injections for her as she was afraid of needles. Well done, my friend! Anyway, the bottom line was it was all worth it. Her precious princess made everything that she's gone through worth it.

Later, I shared with Jerome whatever my friend had shared with me. I remarked that this is a positive sign since my friend shared with me so many success stories. Jerome couldn't get pass the idea of the 50+ injections. He reminded me about his 'phobia' of injections. I told him I'm the one being injected, not him! He admitted that needle is his weakness. He said we should reconsider the whole IVF business and whether we really want to go through all these just for a child or another round of disappointment.  He talked about an ex-colleague who had a child with special needs. Her advice to him was that sometimes it's better off to have no children. Just take things natural. The most important thing is that we're happy and contented with what we already have.

So think again...

But 1 thing's for certain, Jerome says "If we do not have children, we're going on holiday every CNY so we don't have people asking us "When's your turn?" or 'happily' telling us "So and so got married last year and now wife's giving birth soon. So we better 'buck up'. "

I couldn't agree more... In fact I'm looking forward to travelling somewhere now!

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl,

    We adopted because we feel that there are many kids out there that need a family. At the end of the day, you want a child, right? Does it matter if it's biological or not? Is the pain and suffering worth it for the biological child? At the same time, I understand that it is not easy to adopt in Spore. Well, think about it and consider your options. But will keep you in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jas,

    I'm really to adopt but hubby isn't...
    He says ivf first, then reconsider options...

    ReplyDelete