Friday, August 27, 2010

We're living at the Border...

I thought that it was interesting when Jerome's eldest brother made a remark that went something like that...

"Something must be wrong. A sister and her American husband are now in the States (sister's been there for close to 20 yrs). A brother and his family are in Australia, been there for 2 yrs and counting. And another one living at the border..."

Well, Jerome & I are living at the borders of Singapore. We can practically walk to Malaysia via the causeway. And everyday we see more of Malaysia from our windows.

I am a Malaysian but currently a Singapore PR. I have been staying in Singapore with my parents for as long as I could remember. But honestly, I have no desire to return to Malaysia. I think the "One Malaysia" dream will still take a long long time before it will come true.

Singapore has given me a lot of opportunities that I wouldn't have back in Malaysia. I'm glad that my parents moved out of Malaysia and into Singapore in the pursue of a better life. If we were to stay in Malaysia, I would most likely end up as a factory worker or something... Unless my parents are rich, I wouldn't have the opportunity to pursue a tertiary education.

Think Singapore is truly an amazing country and what it has accomplished is nothing short of a miracle. For an almost invisible red dot on the world map (think you'll need a magnifying glass to locate Singapore on the map) with limited land, no natural resources and uneducated people, it has definitely come a long long way to where we are today in just over 40 yrs. As compared to our neighbours who have lots of natural resources, we have developed much faster than all of them despite our limitations. The credit definitely goes to exceptional good governance.

Yes, the cost of living is high. Life can get stressful in Singapore. There are still lots of areas for improvement. But hey, nothing is truly perfect but you must admit that life's still good in Singapore and actually better than in many other countries! Be thankful for all the things that come easily to us. Sometimes I think Singaporeans are too pampered, me included. I do think of myself more of a Singaporean than a Malaysian, having spent most of my life here. Even if you are currently living overseas, enjoying a better quality of life, be thankful about what Singapore has given you so far so that you have more options now. 

So for Singaporeans and residents who like to complain about the 'garmen', don't take everything for granted... This is also a reminder for myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment